Creative Writing Day
A 3 part writing intervention which:
- Uses drama to generate and create idea to develop into stories
- Uses visual graphic organisers to organise and sequence ideas
- Provides time to capture and write the ideas as original stories
Drama – Generating Ideas
- One sentence story – In a circle each person adds one sentence to build up a story
- One word story – In a circle each person adds just one word
- Complete the image – Two people come out to the front and shake hands. They freeze. Ask the other participants to tell the story of the image. Who are these people? Where are they? Take one person out and ask a third person to come in and make another shape. What is the story now? You can continue creating images and asking the audience to tell the story
- Split the class into groups of four or five and ask them to make a freeze frame of a title you give them like “The Teacher’s revenge” or “Lost in the desert” etc. Again ask people what’s going on? Who is in the picture?
- Start with an object. The more unusual the better. Somebody takes the object and starts a picture off. E.g. A cup. “This is a magic cup. I have stolen it from an evil wizard and I’m running through a wood”. Everyone else is then invited to create a character to fill out this story. “I’m the wizard and I’m chasing the person who has stolen my magic cup through the wood “. “I’m a poisonous flesh eating plant lying in wait for anyone who should come past” etc etc
- Give the children a picture and ask them to recreate it exactly as a freeze frame. It could be an illustration or a photograph. Then ask them to make a picture of the same scene ten minutes before and then ten minutes after so creating a narrative – beginning, middle and end
Graphic Organisers, Writing frames, Time Lines
Students will use any of the following templates to note ideas following the Drama games…
- Brain drops
- Mind winds
- Event chains
- Graphic notes
Students will then develop, order and sequence their stories to provide original writing.
Write my story…
Initial drafts of story sections will be developed with the use of…
Enhanced vocabulary..use of adjectives, and sentence structure, descriptive writing.. Stories will be completed and printed to be taken home and presented to parents.